It All Comes Back To The Simpsons

Monday, July 25, 2005

"Aye, Sir...Ya Bath-Takin', Underpants-Wearin', Lily-Hugger!"

RIP Jimmy Doohan...I realize it's a little late, but I was...mmm...uhh..in mourning? Yeah, I was in mourning.

Star Trek was a staple in my TV diet when I was growing up, because my dad loved that show. I can certainly enjoy the whole campiness of it, but dad was a hardcore sci-fi geek, and still is, I suppose. Anyway, Scotty was, by far, my favorite character. My ears would peak up at the first sound of the forced Scottish brogue. I'd get the same warm, fuzzy feeling I get when I hear Willie or Mr. Burns or my namesake on The Simpsons. Mmmmmmmm....warm fuzzy.

Did you know that Scotty never once said, "Captain, the engines cannought take nay more!" on Star Trek? I heard that on NPR this weekend, and while it is not as fair and balanced a news source as some others, I find they're generally dependable.

So take some time to pour a little out of your forty onto the curb in Scotty's memory, if you haven't already. He would for you.

Gotta go now, my grandparents are in town!

p.s. While I was composing this post a work, my boss came up to me and told me I had to do someone else's work today,in addition to my own, and I said the above quote to him, and I thought, why, that's a good one to use for Scotty!

11 Comments:

  • I was reading the obituaries on Saturday (I know, I'm weird) and this lady's obit said "Scotty has finally beamed her up". I didn't know if laughing was appropriate since she's dead, but I guess she's happy now.

    By Blogger Maria, at Mon Jul 25, 06:56:00 PM 2005  

  • I really wish they would give details of how the people died in the obits.

    By Blogger Isaac Carmichael, at Mon Jul 25, 08:28:00 PM 2005  

  • really, they SHOULD provide more details. that way, you could arrange your obit to say something really cool.

    Like died in a huge car explosion, giving the finger to the cops chasing her.

    that would be sweet.

    By Blogger evilsciencechick, at Mon Jul 25, 09:35:00 PM 2005  

  • See, now if we still had cable, you never probably never would have heard that bit about Scotty!

    By Blogger Sylvana, at Mon Jul 25, 10:18:00 PM 2005  

  • I always found it disturbing when they interviewed Scotty and he DIDN'T have that scottish accent in real life.
    I guess he could act after all.

    The best Scotty episode was actually when he was featured on Star Trek: TNG, and he was telling Jordie he needed to "pad" his time estimates more so he could look more like a miracle-worker.

    By Blogger Shamus O'Drunkahan, at Tue Jul 26, 11:57:00 AM 2005  

  • A positively FANTASTIC reason to abolish having cable, I say, Sylvana. Here, here!

    Maria, reading obits isn't all that weird. I used to get paid to do it when I was in college to see if any of the alums/major donors had died. It was suuuuuuuppppperrrr depressing after 9/11 since I live in NYC. Man, that sucked. Sometimes, Bob, they DO give details, but it's never more than "died of liver failure" or "had long struggled on dialysis." We had a dean take a nose dive off one of the nearby apartment buildings one year and her obit just said she had died suddenly.

    By Blogger ORF, at Tue Jul 26, 12:49:00 PM 2005  

  • see i wouldnt be up for knowing how some people died, like if they had put on my friend scotts obit that he died of a gunshoot wound to the chest that was self inflicted, i would probably be tramitized. but i am curious to know how young people (35 and younger)(not that 35 and older are old...but well whatever, you get the point) die, because like kids and stuff...well i dont know maybe i am just sick....

    By Blogger Randi@SowderingAbout, at Wed Jul 27, 11:40:00 AM 2005  

  • Glad I'm not the only curious about how people die. I also wish for the gory details when people pass. Especially young people. I hate the "unexpectedly passed" bit; the curiosity kills me! (Get it, "kills"? Nyuk, nyuk.)

    When I wrote my mom's obit, I made sure to put that she passed from breast cancer so that no one would wonder. Now writing an obit, that's not fun at all...

    I saw an obit yesterday that was for a woman, but I swear to Jesus she looked like a man in drag. I immediately thought of Austin Powers, "That's not your mom, that's a man baby!"

    I'm going to write my own kick-ass obit with a hot picture of me on the beach in a bikini or something. No one will ever forget that!

    By Blogger Maria, at Wed Jul 27, 09:27:00 PM 2005  

  • Maria- I want to write my own obit too. I don't know if I trust other people to get it right. Besides, I'd like to really fab it up!

    By Blogger Sylvana, at Thu Jul 28, 09:41:00 AM 2005  

  • Bob, you now have a rather irritating pop-up on your site. Did you know that? If so, can you get rid of it????? PLEEEEEEEEZE?

    By Blogger ORF, at Thu Jul 28, 11:31:00 AM 2005  

  • it's a bravenet popup because of the sidebar survey.

    I want my obit to say "Killed by government conspiracy. AVENGE ME!!!!"

    By Blogger evilsciencechick, at Thu Jul 28, 12:44:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home