It All Comes Back To The Simpsons

Thursday, February 22, 2007

"Hey, The Sidewalk's Fer Regular Walkin', Not Fancy Walkin'!"

Allow me to get the following disclaimer: I am no lover of sidewalks. Given the opportunity, I always choose to leave the pavement and stroll upon the grass. And I'm not above sharing the road...even with biketards.


However, I can find no reason why joggers around here run out on the street rather than on the sidewalks. I could understand jogging on the grassy median between the sidewalk and the street in order to make things easier on the knees, but forsaking the sidewalk in order to play in traffic seems more like a pathetic cry for attention. Kid of like those kids that drive back and forth on your street, bass pumping, in the desperate hope that somebody will notice them.

That's why I really don't feel any regret when I run them over...Jerks!

7 Comments:

  • Oh Oh Oh you said it!!! We're always ranting about jogtards!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Feb 23, 05:33:00 AM 2007  

  • A guy around here not only runs on the road, but he runs friggen barefoot.

    Yes, even in the snow.

    By Blogger Shamus O'Drunkahan, at Fri Feb 23, 07:34:00 AM 2007  

  • There's usually no dog droppings on the road.

    "Jogtards" here know enough to stay on the sidewalk and ruin their knees. Besides, it's harder to run over desert landscaping. (picture a jogger running into cactus, you know you want to!)

    By Blogger Shannon, at Fri Feb 23, 09:33:00 AM 2007  

  • Black top is softer than pavement . . .

    By Blogger Evil Spock, at Fri Feb 23, 12:09:00 PM 2007  

  • ag- you did pop into my head as I was constructing this post!

    shamus- I'm not sure why, but the barefoot thing makes me like him...

    shannon- you're right, I did! Thanks for encouraging my baser instincts.

    evil spock- stop trying to fool me with your "logic"!

    By Blogger Isaac Carmichael, at Sat Feb 24, 12:31:00 PM 2007  

  • Evil Spock is right. Cement sidewalks are harder on the body than asphalt road surface. And also, there's fewer other people to dodge around. At least, that's how it was when I used to go running in NYC. People just stop in the middle of the damned sidewalk for nothing and you run smack into them. Walktards!!!!!

    By Blogger ORF, at Sat Mar 03, 08:53:00 PM 2007  

  • I still ride my bike on the sidewalk.

    I'm not sharing pavement with a 2000lbs death machine, and I'm more than happy to pop onto the grass as to avoid pedestrians.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon May 07, 11:26:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home