It All Comes Back To The Simpsons

Monday, July 17, 2006

"It's Just Made Up Words That Don't Mean Anything...Like 'Shamalamadingdong' Or 'Give Peace A Chance'.


So, has everyone seen the new Citibank commercial, the one with the Beatles' "All You Need Is Love" providing the background music and it just makes you want to retch?

I've noticed for some time now the appalling practice of wonderful, generation-defining music being co-opted and sullied by soulless corporations in pursuit of the Almighty Dollar. Important artists ranging from the Beatles to Willie Nelson to Toby Keith have had their music hijacked in the name of widget-trade. (OK, I was joking about Toby; he'd name his first-born Popeye if a fried chicken joint waved a few sheckles under his nose...)

But this ad for a credit card company stating that we should realize that, in the grand scheme of things, money isn't really very important is reprehensible (or high satire...I haven't quite figured that out yet). OK, CITIGroup, if money isn't that big a deal, how about you stop charging me $39 if my damn payment is one day late? C'mon, Citibank, don't go all Yoko on me! Just love me, Citibank, love me do!

8 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home