It All Comes Back To The Simpsons

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

"Possessions Are Fleeting."

As you might have read over at my honey's blog, a dear friend of ours commited suicide last Friday. I chose the title of this post because it was one of her favorites (I always got a laugh out of her when I said it), but also because it's true...the cornerstones of my beliefs are impermanence and non-attachment, but even though I can understand that rationally, living it is something else entirely ("Possession", of course, is not the appropriate word here, but it loosely refers to anyone or anything we hold dear). This morning I drove by her house and saw her car in the driveway, and just the sight of it hit me like a ton of bricks. I still don't think I've wrapped my head around the fact that I'll never see her again.

I am really going to miss her. I'm still catching myself thinking, "I wonder if K would like to go to the movies with us" or "let's have lunch with K" and stuff like that.

No matter how sad all this is, though, I'm really glad to have known her. Material possessions, and even our human bodies, may be fleeting, but she really did make a lasting impression on those of us lucky enough to count her as a friend. She was a kind and gentle soul. She was good. And I hope that wherever she is now, everything is beautiful and nothing hurts.

31 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home