It All Comes Back To The Simpsons

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

"Back Then, We Television Producers Was Just Jerks In Suits, Nothing At All Like These Days."

Damn YouTube won’t let me embed this video, so’s you’ll have to follow the link to see the footage of quite possibly the smartest TV producer in the world. Frankly, if there were more producers like this guy, I think we'd all be better off.

Has it ever struck you, dear reader, what a sucky medium television is? It has such promise and potential, yet shows like Twin Peaks and Arrested Development are repeatedly cancelled while shows like Yes, Dear and Full House go on and on. And yes, I am aware that David Lynch was just making it up as he was going along, but that only underscores my point....most shows are developed, produced, and written by idiots for idiots.

I had to put up with the whole dumbing down process throughout my entire childhood in the public education system, and when I turned, all pimply-faced and adolescent-angst-ridden, to television to escape that reality, I got Who's the Boss?. Aargh!!! The only thing worse than Tony Danza is Tony Danza whining, "Annnnggeeelllaaaa!"

I used to watch quite a bit of TV. It was just sort of a conditioned response: come home from work, plop down on the couch, grab the remote, manipulate the remote while repeatedly pushing the power button because the damn batteries are weak, and bask in TV's warm, glowing, glowing warmth. Lately, however, I've not been watching it at all, and I can't say that I really miss it. I'm now able to do much more productive things, like watch stupid videos on YouTube, for example.

So hows about it: what is your alternative to television's bottomless chum-bucket? What's the best show that's been cancelled; or the worst show that hasn't been? And have you seen my remote? I can't find the f%*#ing little thing anywhere!

16 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home