It All Comes Back To The Simpsons

Sunday, May 22, 2005

"Welcome To Fox News, Your Voice For Evil."

WARNING: ***SPOILER ALERT***STAR WARS***SPOILER ALERT

Every once in a while, I tune into Fox "News" just to get a little chuckle. It rarely disappoints. Case in point; the day before the release of Episode III of Star Wars, I tune in to see the visage of Bill O'Reilly (shudder). He was talking about a possible "anti-George W. Bush" theme in the movie. I switched right away, because I didn't want to hear about it before I saw the movie.

Anyways, I went to see it on Thursday. I think I know what O'Reilly was talking about. There's a scene where Anakin Skywalker, in the midst of his struggle between the good and evil sides of his personality, says, "You are either with me, or against the cause" (or something like that. The exact quote I'm not sure of, but the gist of the quote is accurate).

Now, come on...is it this little line that's got the Fox "News" Channel's panties in a twist? How many times has this line (or a line that is essetially the same) been used in the history of cinema? Dozens? Hundreds? Perhaps thousands?

I suppose they may be upset at some perceived parallels between the Empire in Star Wars and the current Bush administration. Hey, don't hate the player...If you see similarities between the evil Empire of Star Wars and your guy in the White House, maybe you should focus on fixing that, rather than lashing out at everyone else.

Of course, in true Fox "News" Channel fashion, they got someone on the case and have now found, through a use of twisted logic that would sexually excite Karl Rove, Pro-Bush messages in the Star Wars franchise. Can't everyone just realize it's just a movie? In fact, it's a typical George Lucas movie with stilted, awkward dialogue and wooden acting, telling what is essentially a classic Greek-archetype tragedy told through Shogun and Western movie-making styles. Oh, and by the way, despite the obvious limitation that any movie directed by George Lucas faces, Episode III was hella-hella-awesome! I'm have nerdish leanings, and I don't care who knows!

All hail Darth Hannity!!!

10 Comments:

  • Oh..give me a BREAK! Do these right-wing nut jobs have nothing else to bitch about? You're right, it's kind of suspicious. Even they're looking for Bush in the evil empire. How does it go in Hamlet?

    methinks the lady (or, in this O-Reilly) doth protest too much.

    and I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THAT MOVIE!!!

    By Blogger evilsciencechick, at Sun May 22, 09:21:00 PM 2005  

  • "How many times has this line (or a line that is essetially the same) been used in the history of cinema? Dozens? Hundreds? Perhaps thousands?"

    Doesn't Bush get most of his material from the movies and TV anyway?

    By Blogger Sylvana, at Mon May 23, 02:23:00 PM 2005  

  • Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's uttered something along the lines of "Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya? PUNK!" a time or two around the ole dais. He's probably also made reference to Boss Hog and Rosco as well as told "Elizabeth" that he's coming soon. And even though those are television characters, I don't think he really knows the difference anyway. (100 points if you can name both shows I just referenced!)

    By Blogger ORF, at Tue May 24, 11:49:00 AM 2005  

  • I wasn't a fan of "Star Wars" until I saw it Saturday night. It f**cking rocks! It's rare to see the bad guy actually turn into the bad guy and when Vader takes his first breath through his garbage-can head, I had goosebumps. (I still maintain, however, that LOTR is better.) My sister and I agreed that the lightsaber noises were intensely annoying, but that Anakin is hot, especially when he's evil.

    By Blogger Maria, at Tue May 24, 01:24:00 PM 2005  

  • ORF- Dukes of Hazard and Sanford and Son....of course. I'll take fifty of those points now and you can wrap the rest to go.

    Maria- I really liked how the course of events were detailed that showed exactly how he was turned to the dark side. But Hayden Christiansen is like reese on Malcolm in the Middle minus any trace of personality...but Lucas does have a way of rubbing out all traces of humanity in his characters.

    And why do chicks dig guys that choke their girlfriends?

    By Blogger Isaac Carmichael, at Tue May 24, 04:02:00 PM 2005  

  • Awww, Bob! That was too easy. Dammit.

    As for Star Wars, well, let's just say there's a reason Lucas was never considered for an Oscar in the screenplay category. I think part of the series' charm tho is the cardboard nature of the characters. I mean, it's sci-fi. Not icky romance. bleckh!!

    By Blogger ORF, at Tue May 24, 04:10:00 PM 2005  

  • O'Reilly is an A-Hole.

    By Blogger Shamus O'Drunkahan, at Wed May 25, 11:16:00 AM 2005  

  • We also had a geek day and saw star wars on sat. i have never seen any of them but we had a marathon and watched 1 and 2 a few clone war cartoons and then saw 3. i still have yet to see 5 and 6 but im working on it...i liked when samuel l jackson made his apperance, as claudia said, oooh samuel, excuse me can you hand me wallet? its the one that says bad ass mother fucker, yea thanks...haha gotta love it!

    By Blogger Randi@SowderingAbout, at Wed May 25, 01:46:00 PM 2005  

  • Dude, did Darth Vader Force choke you? Or light saber off your hand? Seriously, what's with the not posting since Sunday???? I need a fix! I'm a junkie!!

    By Blogger ORF, at Fri May 27, 09:17:00 AM 2005  

  • I've been avoiding reading this 'cause I haven't seen Star Wars yet and I got the impression this was a spoiler.

    When can we expect something new from the SSB?

    By Blogger Shannon, at Fri May 27, 10:18:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home