It All Comes Back To The Simpsons

Saturday, April 30, 2005

"Geese Can Be Troublesome"

"Help, I am being held prisoner in a fortune cookie factory."
"You will not be able to comment on blogger today."
"Cat vomit hides in your house."
"Gas prices will go up a lot, down a little, then up again".
"A vending machine will piss you off today".
"Spandex is not your friend".
"You will be aroused by a shampoo commercial."

These are all fortunes I came up with myself (with the exception of the first one, which I got to hear every single time my family went to a chinese restaurant when I was a kid and my father read his fortune aloud. Seriously, dad, enough already). I think I could carve out a meager existence at that trade. Too bad they're sending all the jobs overseas. That's a good trade off: we send our jobs to China, they send us the flu...

Even though they are creatures of death, disease and pestilence, I very much enjoy geese. I get to see (and hear) a lot of them in my town. We have flocks that return every year to a little pond right by our house. I love the sound of a formation of geese coming down over our house, preparing to land on the water. You can hear all the beating wings and wooshing air and everything.

I commented to my hot wife that whenever I see a flock walking around on the ground, I like to pretend they're little dinosaurs. She does the same thing! Whoa, we have a lot in common, we're both weird. Anyone else do that?

Apparently, geese are as troublesome on the golf course as they are on the immune system, leaving their waste anywhere, like common animals. Upset golfers have been known to club them in an act of "Links Rage" (aka "Putter's Despair")...losers. What do they expect when they build these courses on acres of land, usually with streams and ponds worked into the course?

My major problem is with people who are troublesome. I'm not a golfer, but I did golf a few times as a kid and I actually saw PEOPLE going to the bathroom on the edge of the woods, more or less in plain view. That's a bit more upsetting, I would think, than goose poop. Not to mention the cigarette butts and empty cans and bottles and scorecards and stubby little pencils and packaging for items bought at the pro shop and countless other cast off detritus that litter almost every hole of the countless, prolifically spreading golf courses that comsume the previously pristine habitats of geese, herons, deer, and feral cats.

Ooh, here's another fortune: "Your ancestry will prevent your joining of a prestigious country club".

13 Comments:

  • Damn...maybe I could be a fortune writer...
    And "Haw haw!" -Your church has no steeple!

    By Blogger Isaac Carmichael, at Sat Apr 30, 07:36:00 PM 2005  

  • When I lived in my apartment, we had a large pond with a fountain in the middle on the property, and a nice path that went around it, perfect for dog walking. At least once a year we'd get invaded by Canada geese who would poop everywhere, all over the path, and then would chase little kids and hiss at the adults in a very menacing "oh no you di'int" kind of way.

    I sic'ed my dog on 'em. Hissing bastards. Shut THEM up!

    By Blogger evilsciencechick, at Sat Apr 30, 07:56:00 PM 2005  

  • I love having the geese fly over the house. My dog actually barks at them, like he's scaring them away, or maybe he's saying, "Hey, you there! Take me with you!"

    By Blogger Sylvana, at Sat Apr 30, 09:44:00 PM 2005  

  • Where I'm from, the major pond pests are alligators. I think I would prefer the geese, despite my terror of birds.

    By Blogger The Attractive Nuisance, at Sun May 01, 10:11:00 AM 2005  

  • There are loads of geese at my campus. They refuse to move out of the way as I'm trying to find a parking space. One of these days I'll be eating road-kill goose for dinner.

    Fortune cookie fun: Read the fortune and then insert "in bed" at the end. Fun for everyone!

    "Homer, we don't have to have sex."
    "Yes we do; the cookie said so."

    By Blogger Maria, at Sun May 01, 03:05:00 PM 2005  

  • As a child my father always pulled the "Help I'm trapped in a fortune cookie factory" trick, and I believed him until I hit grade school.

    I loved Geese until one attacked me in a park in Oshkosh. Now, I give them their healthy distance.

    What kind of dinosaur?

    By Blogger Shannon, at Mon May 02, 11:02:00 AM 2005  

  • Genericasaur, I suppose.

    There was a Chinese restaurant in Oshkosh that my wife and I went to every year for our anniversary, but it burned down the year after we moved away, it was so good...meemmorrieess...

    By Blogger Isaac Carmichael, at Mon May 02, 05:00:00 PM 2005  

  • I love the last fortune, and your view of golf courses. I live near a country club. In the summer the courts are filled with prancing WASPs in tennis outfits while the golf courses are trampled by silver haired men in loud shirts. It enrages and amuses me at the same time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed May 04, 08:40:00 AM 2005  

  • My brain is not witty enough to come up with a good fortune at this moment in time....

    Seriously, or that one actually would be a good one...hmmm....

    By Blogger Randi@SowderingAbout, at Wed May 04, 02:24:00 PM 2005  

  • One of my favorites was one that SSB got:
    Everyone agrees; you are the best.

    By Blogger Sylvana, at Wed May 04, 09:25:00 PM 2005  

  • Bob, be sure to check this out.

    By Blogger ORF, at Thu May 05, 10:24:00 AM 2005  

  • ORF-
    It all comes back to the Simspons did it!
    It all comes back to the Simpsons did it!

    By Blogger Isaac Carmichael, at Thu May 05, 07:28:00 PM 2005  

  • Ok, Gollum. Settle down.

    It just occurred to me that the title of your post had the word "geese" in it too. Oh, the Internet. Such a wondrous place.

    By Blogger ORF, at Mon May 09, 02:10:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home