It All Comes Back To The Simpsons

Sunday, March 20, 2005

"Ah, TV...you laugh with me, not at me."

One of my favorite sayings is, "There are no do-overs in real life" (That's directed at you Born-againers out there. I know you're out there, I can hear you rolling holy). However, I'm not too satisfied with my last posting, so I'll continue writing about television until I get it right. And now that the nyquil has worn off, I remember where I was trying to go last night. I keep coming upon these online debates about which is better: The Simpsons or The Family Guy.

I'll give your IQ the benefit of the doubt and assume you all can figure out where I stand on the subject. I remember the Halloween episode a couple of years ago; the part where Homer gets a hammock that churns out clones. At a certain point they do a slow pan across a field of scores of Homerclones, and Peter Griffin is among them....mmmmm...satire.

This arguement is similar to the Beatles vs. Rolling Stones. In both cases the fact is that if it weren't for the originators (Beatles/Simpsons), there would be no imitators. The whole question is moot. Moot...there's an interesting word.

The word moot can trace its' origin back to the ancient Egyptians. The Moots were those people who were said to be ignored by the gods. That would be, in essence, I suppose, a pretty meaningless existence. Of course we now know that the ancient Egyptians religion is utterly infantile and recockulous, as are the systems of faith of all ancient cultures. But don't worry...we've got it all figured out now, god-wise.

Our God is great, omniscient, seemingly everywhere, emitting a warming glow, with little buttons on front so you can control the volume. He giveth, and He taketh away (Futurama, for example). But He is also a vengeful God (reality TV, for example), but not a God without mercy (two Simpsons on tonight!). Ok, this analogy is beginning to get a little gay, and I'm certainly not out to offend anyone (not with this paragraph, at least).

By the way, an interesting thing to do on any given Sunday morning is to tune into any given televangelist, turn the volume all the way down, and turn on some old school rap (I'd recommend NWA or PE). It's a good alternative to going to church for all you uptight godboys. I really think you can judge the worth of a religion by the sense of humor among its' faithful. God wants you to be happy; spend some time with your friends and/or family, clean up some litter, help someone who is worse off than you are. You might just feel good enough about yourself that you won't feel the need to vent your repressed unhappiness on those in society who have it hard enough already. God is love...maybe you should think about that....really think about it. Because, as the good book says, "really think about it". Oh, and there's something in there about a unicorn named Gary or something.

2 Comments:

  • I totally agree that God wants us to be happy and have fun. In Dogma it turns out that God is a practical joking woman (Alanis Morriset), I like that idea. God must be a woman because women are the bearers of life and they are able to utilize the whole range of emotions. And God must have a sense of humor, after all, she created Christians. I'm so tired of these born-agains running around trying to make sure they nor anyone else has any fun because they suddenly feel that it is sinful and it is their duty to run everyone else's life. Look what happens when people try to repress their natural need for happiness: Michael Jackson was kept from having a normal childhood and was told that women and sex with them was evil and now he's made a huge mess of his life.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Mar 24, 11:57:00 AM 2005  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Mar 24, 11:57:00 AM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home